My Life-Long Quest for my World War II Airman Father

The title "Carrying Fire" is taken from Cormac McCarthy's No Country for Old Men, in which Sheriff Ed Tom Bell talks about his own father. “I had two dreams about him after he died. I don’t remember the first one all that well. But the second one it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin through the mountains of a night. Goin through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin. Never said nothing. He just rode on past and he had this blanket wrapped around him and he had his head down and when he rode past I seen that he was carryin fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. About the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin on ahead and that he was fixin to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there.”

Friday, February 20, 2015

A Video Tribute






As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my father flew his third mission on February 19, 1945, when his plane was hit by flak and he made an emergency landing in Belgium.  After he and his crew were flown back to England they were given flak leave and did not fly again until March 1st and 2nd.  I'll be busy on those dates this year telling the story of those missions and the aftermath.  With ten day's to go before his final mission, this might be a good time to show my pictorial tribute to him, with a little help from Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller.  Many thanks to my step-son Joah McGee for his tech support.




Tribute to my Father from Don Christensen on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment